Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving Thunder Thighs


        


It’s a great thing when our turkeys have thunder thighs on Thanksgiving, but not so much when it’s our thighs. The season of over-eating is about to commence. Are you ready? I don’t remember a time when I felt GOOD after stuffing myself to the gills. Actually, it usually makes me feel pretty crummy. So why do we continue to do it?? Tradition? Peer pressure from our family to try just one small piece of pie? Grandma only makes this dessert once a year and I HAVE to have some? We all have excuses why we do it, just not good excuses. 
I challenge you to NOT over eat this year! 

Here are some ideas to make Thanksgiving about the turkey’s thighs and not yours!

  • Instead of mashed potatoes, have mashed cauliflower (find a recipe that doesn’t use heavy whipping cream).
  • Instead of the traditional stuffing, have roasted broccoli with pine nuts.
  • Skip the dinner rolls.
  • If you’re hosting, insist on only having ONE dessert available. Is it really necessary to have NINE different kinds of pie?
  • Only have water to drink.
Tell me some ways you avoid over-eating around the holidays!

-         Dr. Emily :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment