Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Being Attached




            I was recently on the radio talking about Attachment and natural parenting – two of my favorite topics. Why are they my favorite topics? Because they include all the things that I love to talk about at length – chiropractic, natural birth, babywearing, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, and healthy eating. I tried to get as much as I could into that 8 minute interview, but there was still a lot of information I did not cover. Good thing I have this blog, so I can get it all out here! ;-)
            “What is Attachment Parenting?” you ask.  In a sentence, Attachment Parenting promotes gentle parenting techniques to fulfill a child's need for trust, empathy, and affection and to provide a foundation for a lifetime of healthy relationships. There is much more to their principles, but that’s it in a nutshell. I’ll give a brief overview of some of the common Attachment Parenting techniques, but for a more in depth overview, please visit the Attachment Parenting International website – attachmentparenting.org.
Let me touch on all my favorite topics and how they look in the Attachment Parenting (AP) lifestyle.

Chiropractic – Parents following the AP lifestyle tend to choose alternative forms of healthcare before the more common allopathic route. Opting out of the traditional drugs and surgery route, AP parents would rather try something else first. Chiropractic is such a great first choice! Chiropractic care for infants and children can help decrease colic, ear infections, constipation, and much more! Visiting a chiropractor regularly can vastly decrease the number of sick visits to the pediatrician. One of my favorite e-cards sums it up nicely. (P.S. Did you know your family chiropractor can do school physicals and exams?!)
 
Natural Birth – Birth is a normal and natural process that has been made to seem scary and dangerous. Much like running a marathon, birth requires physical and mental training. If you aren’t prepared for the incredible physical demands, then it can seem incredibly painful and unbearable. If you tried to run said marathon without preparation, you would have the same result. Unfortunately, many obstetricians have stopped encouraging their patients to have a pro-active approach to birth.  There is a time and place for medical intervention, but it is overused in this country. I always recommend moms get regular chiropractic care and take classes to prepare for birth. I personally recommend The Bradley Method (www.bradleybirth.com) or Hypnobirthing (www.hypnobirthing.com).

Babywearing – Just like it sounds, it means wearing your baby in an approved carrier or sling. This promotes happy babies since they are close to their caregiver and their needs can be met 100% of the time. This means less crying, better digestion (due to upright posture), both hands for mom/dad/caregiver, and children who become independent earlier! As a chiropractor, I know how important it is to make sure the baby is supported correctly. Babies should always be facing mom or dad either in a front carry, back carry, or hip carry. This ensures they are supported from their butt to the crook of the knees with legs slightly above the hip. Babies should never be facing outward with their legs hanging downward. That can cause excess stress on the hip joint and vascular system.
                      



Cloth Diapering – It’s a win, win, win, win, win situation! Cloth diapering can save lots of money, it’s better for the environment, it’s better for baby (far fewer chemicals!), babies will generally potty train earlier, and they are SUPER cute these days! No safety pins and no plastic pants! Those of you who know me know I spend half my time at Cotton Bottom Baby in Salina helping my mom and Meghan run our cloth diaper and natural parenting store!

Breastfeeding – I am a self-proclaimed lactivist. I am a big supporter of breastfeeding! It is the perfect first food and it helps create a strong bond between mother and baby. I always recommend mothers-to-be and new mothers attend a La Leche League meeting to talk with other breastfeeding moms in their community. La Leche League is a world leader in breastfeeding research and education. Visit their website for more information on a group near you – www.llli.org.

Healthy Eating – At the office, Dr. Loder teaches the Eat Well, Move Well, Think Well lifestyle program. This is a great program for anyone looking to live a long, active, healthy life! (Learn more at www.eatwellmovewellthinkwell.com.) My husband and I are big fans of the program and of the Innate style of eating (the way our ancestors did and the way our genetics are designed to!). We take this information and apply it to our toddler. Laramie has had no processed food, grains (wheat, rice, oats), or dairy. We plan to keep it that way as long as we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment